My First Pride (Theme: Pride) by Hayley Sherman




Blasting ‘I Am What I Am’ at 9 a.m.
with the windows wide,
and singing at the sober norms walking past outside.
My girlfriend’s got a Super-Soaker.
We’re taking over Pride.

We breakfast on champagne,
and my girlfriend’s got some pills.
We’ve been doing nostril slaloms down the snowy powder hill.
We come up smiling rainbows at the wonder that is us,
As the sun shines in the window of the number 7 bus.

Hand in hand, singing, skipping. Parading to the parade.
Someone painted my face when I was looking the other way.
I’ve got a sausage roll, and my girlfriend’s scored some K.
Lesley’s torn her tutu, but we think she’ll be okay.

Glitter on the skyline, rainbows on the horizon.
A blur of sequined chariots and a glorious summer sky.
I wish I remembered more, but, fuck me, I was high.

Comments

Popular Posts