Calamity Jane, You Let Me Down (Theme: Pride) by Julie Hager




Oh, Calamity Jane, with your Sarsaparilly,
You rode right onto my black and white telly.
In your buckskin breeches, you grabbed my attention
As you flipped the bird at gender convention.

I was only nine. I was starry-eyed.
Though I didn’t understand, I was mesmerised.
Here was a woman who dared to dare,
With pride in her stride and her chin to the air.

But, Calamity Jane, you let me down,
You should have stuck with Katie Brown.
Instead of which you donned a frock
And went and married Bill Hickok.

Oh, Calamity Jane, you sold me out,
And left me growing up in doubt.
There was not a single girl like me,
Not in real life nor on TV.

And now I wonder, had I seen
More like you upon my screen,
Would I have felt quite so defective,
Never a true girl from any perspective?

So, it took me a while to see the light –
I am this girl
And this girl’s
All right.
(P.S. I’ve found my own Katie Brown – and that’s all right too!)

Comments

  1. This really made me smile. There should be a lesbian remake where Calamity gets the girl x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Liked what you read? Let the poet know ...

Popular Posts